International Conference on Engineering Education
UMIST, Manchester, Great Britain, August 18-22, 2002
CALL FOR PAPERS
Innovations in Virtual and Remote Laboratories
Topics are, but not limited to, the following:
- Educational virtual and remote laboratories or telecommuting virtual environments used in measurement and control systems.
- Objectives, benefits and definition of a virtual laboratory, a remote laboratory. How to integrate virtual and remote laboratories within a shared virtual learning environment or a virtual campus.
- Role of simulation, virtual and/or augmented reality and immersive tutoring systems in a virtual and remote laboratory.
- How to deal with laboratory management and activity scheduling in terms of variable and critical time constraints due to a number of parameters such as network speed, network quality of service (QOS) and congestion issues.
- Participants’ various roles during a lab session, how many teams per session, etc.
- Operational architectures and models of distributed measurement and control systems.
- Procedures and techniques for setting up effective learning and teaching scenarios taking into account the pedagogical aspect of the use of virtual and remote laboratories.
- Communication protocols, security issues, software, hardware, drivers and devices used to access laboratory equipment.
- How to deal with mobile users, wireless systems and mobile equipment for remote virtual laboratories.
- Issues resulting from the use and implementation of various software agents in virtual laboratory systems.
- New manufacturing trends in the design of hardware and software interfaces, leading to potential universal modular design and low-cost, suitable user interfaces and equipment for remote virtual laboratories.
This conference emphasizes development of international partnerships in education and research. Through special sessions and international workshops, it provides ample opportunity for discussing future cooperative projects. For more information on iNEER, one of the principal sponsors of the conference, visit: http://www.ineer.org
January 18, 2002:
Abstract due (submit through website indicated below, with e-mail to Session Chair. Be sure to begin the text of your abstract with the title of this session)
March 15, 2002:
Notice of acceptance
April 26, 20002:
Camera-ready manuscript due
June 28, 2002:
Deadline for author registration
Further information is available at the ICEE-2002 web site: http://www.meeting.co.uk/icee.
Hamadou Saliah-Hassane, Ing., Ph.D.
4750, avenue Henri-Julien, bureau 100
Montréal (Québec), Canada H2T 3E4
Phone: (514) 840 2747 poste 2417
Fax: (514) 843-2160
Return to main page